Thursday, July 28, 2011

Freshen up those pillows!


       In a book I was reading recently, one designer said she re-upholstered her furniture every six months. Very few of us will ever have the time or the money for that luxury! However, her point was good, and that was, to keep things looking fresh in your home. It doesn't take a multi-million dollar budget to make that one work! I choose to do it by re-arranging a piece of furniture now and then, moving the decor to different spots, and accent pillows. I am all about my pillows. My hubby has ceased to understand my infatuation with recovering pillows. I have two little black ones on my couch in particular that fall victim most often to my various whims of pillow covering.
     They started out with large burlap flowers on the front. That was very scratchy and burlap sheds. After a month or two, I stripped the flowers from the front, and put nice soft cotton flowers on instead.


      I liked these pretty well for two or three months. Sadly, the flowers started looking rather flat and not very lovely. Off they came, and now I have these!


      The lovely thing about pillows is that anyone can customize them to fit your taste whether you are crafty or sew or not. Plain pillows can be bought for very little money if you aren't so inclined to sew one yourself. I just use hot glue to fancy up the front and it rips right off when I'm tired of looking at it! Trim is often on sale at craft stores and you change up the look however and as often as you please without spending exorbitant amounts of money.


      I didn't take pictures while I was doing this, because the idea struck at around 10 at night...not super lighting to take pictures at that time! I just used strips of lace and ruffled ribbon to get the look I wanted. Yes, I realize this is about the eleventh post using ruffled ribbon....I can't help myself, I'm in love with that stuff.
      So what is your favorite way to freshen up the look of a room?

"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." Psalm 91:2

Linking to:
Freckled Laundry
Simple Home Life
Six Sisters
Be Different Act Normal
Lolly Jane

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty! I love ruffled ribbon too. My favorite way to freshen up the look of a room is by rearranging. Thank you for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete